Tuesday, November 10, 2015

In the Nude

When I was ten years old, I spent a few months living in Germany. It was during a major heat wave so I spent a lot of time at pools -- as did the Germans, who went swimming nude or topless.
German beach
A few years later, when I was living in South Korea, I was introduced to Korean bathhouses called “jijabangs”. The bathhouses feature a variety of flavored pools and saunas, all of which is enjoyed in the nude.  
Jinjibang in Korea
During my semester abroad in Sweden, I frequented saunas around Scandinavia . Another activity that is culturally expected to be done in your birthday suit.  
Sauna in Sweden


Despite the acceptance of nudity in these cultures around the world, Americans are typically considered “shy” by other countries when it comes to nudity.


I’ve fondly reminisce my sauna or bathhouse days to my friends here the States. Most my friends will agree it sounds nice until I mention that this is done naked. They are shocked. “You mean”, they ask, “that you don’t even wear a swimsuit?” “Don’t you feel uncomfortable?”, they question.




I explain that even though at first it feels awkward but you soon realize that you stand out even more by wearing a swimsuit or covering up. Plus, it is a lot more comfortable to not wear anything-- especially in sweaty saunas.


Regardless, my American friends assure me that it would not be for them and would never do something like that.



However, it is not just our own nudity that bothers us. Nudity is also less likely to be seen on American TV or print compared to in Europe. Commercials are less risque and most nudity is kept on certain channels and to later showtimes.


However, American TV and print is becoming more liberal and more nudity is being shown (take for example the shows Naked and Afraid and Dating Naked). However, we are still less open to nudity than our across-the-pond neighbors.


While there is discussion about the impacts of showing nudity, I believe it is important to just note differences in culture on acceptance of nudity. Implications of this mean that certain activities such as bathhouses might not be as easily adopted in cultures such as in the USA and nudity shown in advertising could have a higher chance of offending someone.

For some fun, check out Conan visit to a Korean bathhouse to see what happens when Americans are faced with Korean culture:



Overall, even though we are all human, our culture dictates our behavior in certain settings and makes us more or less likely to accept a certain activity. This cultural norms are also difficult to change and influence consumers to step outside their culture.

What Do You Think: Are American consumers becoming more comfortable with nudity? Why do you think that is or is not?


No comments:

Post a Comment